OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have been diagnosed with PCOS and have been taking Estelle

Customer Question
Hi there. I have been...
Hi there. I have been diagnosed with PCOS and have been taking Estelle 35ED for it for nearly 7 years. I would like to stop taking the pill but don't want to keep forming cycts. I have never had a natural period. My insulin and blood sugars are normal. im not overweight but I do carry all my weight around my thighs and this may be due to having 1nmol/L of progstone consistitanly. My testosterone is normal. Also my FSH and LH are relatively close together and stayed that way when my blood tests were taken ten days apart. Would metformin help me? I want to try something different and stimulate 'normal' hormone levels when off the pill
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
11/5/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

I don't think that metformin would help you, since metformin primarily helps normalize blood sugar, and your blood sugar and insulin are normal.

It is difficult to stimulate normal hormones, since normal hormones come from normal ovulation, and the basic problem with PCOS is that ovulation doesn't occur much.

Taking the pill is usually the best treatment we have for PCOS. It gives you fairly normal estrogen and progesterone levels, although you do have progesterone in your system for 3 weeks every month rather than 4. That doesn't seem to cause any problem for most women. I doubt that it has anything to do with carrying your weight around your thighs.

If you wish to become pregnant, there are pills you can take for 5 days each month to stimulate ovulation. It's usually not given until you wish to become pregnant.

Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN