How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Your Own Question
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 2537
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a large and increasingly painful swollen area on one

Customer Question

I have a large and increasingly painful swollen area on one side of my vagina. I cannot get a doctor's appointment until Thursday (4 days). Should I go to emergency?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Depending on how large and how painful the area is, at some point I think it will be better to go to emergency.

Most likely your painful swollen area is a Bartholin abscess. This occurs when the Bartholin gland (there is one on each side) gets plugged, and then becomes infected.

The treatment is heat, and at some point it usually needs to be drained, as it's filled with pus.

Heat can be from sitting in warm water or putting a hot washcloth on the area covered with a heating pad.

When it is hurting too much, then it's time to see a doctor, either in emergency or wherever. You'll get much relief once the area is opened and the pus allowed to drain.

Antibiotics are usually not helpful, as they can't reach inside the infection. Best wishes.