OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I bought a oraquick hiv home test kit yesterday and I tested

Customer Question
negative. How accurate are these...
I bought a oraquick hiv home test kit yesterday and I tested negative. How accurate are these tests? Also I brushed my teeth around 25min before taking the test and believe I swabbed only the top and bottom gums on the left side of my mouth. Will this
affect the results at all or am I fine?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
11/1/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD

No This test is not very good at all. About 1 in 12 people infected with Hiv will test falsely negative. It has little to do with how you swabbed. You should get a blood test if you are concerned.

Ok thank you

Sure Please consider a positive rating.

One more question. If I take more than one with a negative result would that be greater conformation? And I'm scheduled for a doctors appointment on the 10th

No Thats not any better confirmation. You need a blood test

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified