Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 73 yrs old and just noticed there was bright red blood

Customer Question

I am 73 yrs old and just noticed there was bright red blood on the tissue after wiping when I peed. It is not in the urine but seems to be coming from the vagina. Help
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Vaginal bleeding after menopause is most often caused by something benign, such as a cervical or uterine polyp or some benign buildup of the uterine lining. However, it could be a sign of uterine cancer, so it's important to have it checked.

Your doctor will do an exam, and if nothing abnormal is found, will probably do an ultrasound.

If the uterine lining is very thin, that rules out uterine cancer. Sometimes a very thin lining will spontaneously bleed.

If the lining is thickened, then you'll need either a D&C or endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the lining).

Just in case cancer is found, it's the kind that we can often cure with a hysterectomy.

I recommend that you see your doctor soon. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already had a complete hyterectomy

Then you may have a polyp or some other tumor in your vagina.

Sometimes the vaginal tissues will get so thin that they can bleed, but that usually would occur with intercourse.

In any case, I would see your doctor for a vaginal exam.

Since you've had a hysterectomy, the bleeding is unlikely to be from cancer, although that's still a possibility.