Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My wife's sensitivity with her nipples and her vagina is

Customer Question

My wife's sensitivity with her nipples and her vagina is like something I have never seen before. Touching at all is painful. When having sex she is fine but that is about all that she can relax with. The outer lips are where the pain seems to be coming from. She knows something is not right and what she experiences isn't normal; however, when we discuss visiting a doctor she seems nervous that she will be told he needs surgery. Even the thought of what she will do with breast feeding when that time comes is an emotional subject. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

I think that it's very fortunate that your wife can enjoy sex without her sensitivity being a problem. For some women, they experience sensitivity and pain in the vaginal area and are unable to have sex because of it.

We all have various amounts of sensitivity of our skin, especially sensitive areas like the nipples and vagina. Usually it's not extreme to the point of being much problem.

I encourage your wife to see a doctor for evaluation. I doubt that much will be found on exam, but one never knows. I think it's highly unlikely that any doctor will recommend surgery for this problem.

There are anesthetic creams that may be helpful for your wife. They would reduce the skin sensitivity, at least at times when it might be a problem. They would probably help at the time of breastfeeding. However, a woman's body changes so much during pregnancy and after that it's very possible that her nipples will not be so sensitive by the time she attempts breastfeeding. Nature has a way of making our bodies able to do the important things. Best wishes to you both.