OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am 42 years old and possible pre menopausal. My period

Customer Question
Hi I am 42 years...
Hi I am 42 years old and possible pre menopausal. My period irregular and light but I seem to loose a lot of blood in bowel movements only during my period. Is this normal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
10/26/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. C., Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm sorry you're having this concern with blood in the bowel movements. It could be that the blood is coming out of the vagina or from the rectum. This may be hard to tell apart. If the blood is bright red, it may be from a hemorrhoid or a rectal fissure. A fissure is a small tear in the lining of the rectum. I do think that it's important to figure out if the blood is actually from the rectum or from the vagina. The way to do that is to wear tampons continuously during the period. If the blood is still present in the stool, than it's likely from the rectum. In that case, a gastroenterologist would be the best person to talk to. There are less common causes of rectal bleeding that would need to be checked for. This includes various tumors that may be benign, pre-cancerous or cancerous. But by far the most common reason would be a fissure or hemorrhoid. Very rarely, a woman can have an endometrioma type of tumor in the rectum that causes bleeding just during periods. This is an incredibly rare situation but risk is increased if a woman has a history of vaginal delivery with a tear into the rectum. If that happens, tissue from the uterine lining can get into the rectal tear area and undergo a period in that location.

Please reply if you have any questions or need more details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified