OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Could you please help me? I noticed something on my genital

Customer Question
Hi, could you please help...
Hi, could you please help me? I noticed something on my genital area (outer part) - it looks like a small skin tag - just one dangling, flat looking, not round and not cauliflower looking, no clusters. I would not have never noticed it unless I shaved. it does not itch and does not cause any discomfort. it was skin color but after touching it is irritable now. no other symptoms. I do not know how long it has been there. I have not been sexually active for over a year and a half since March 2014. My ex partner and I both tested for STD with negative results. Intercourse was always with a condom. I tested in October 2014 for STD with negative results. While it looks very similar to a skin tag I used to have around my armpit (which fell off on its own), I am very worried. I have normal weight and i do not have diabetes as far as i am aware.
In addition, I have never had any STD. I had a smear test in October 2013 and it was normal.
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
could you please just type the answer to me? thank you
could you please review the attached files as well? thank you
10/26/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I was just going to ask for a picture. I am glad that you have posted it. I am going to review it and coming back with an answer in few minutes. Regards

Thanks a lot for your patience. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. I have reviewed the pictures and the look of the lesion is consistent with a genital wart. These genital warts are usually associated with human papilloma virus. I would suggest you to visit your dermatologist to get this removed. For the discomfort you have now, you can take OTC tablet Aleve twice daily. There is nothing consistent with herpes or any other STD here. Your armpit tags and this tag are likely to be related. Having these papilloma, make one slightly prone to get cancer in that area but the risk is very remote and you don't need to be stressed about that. Once treated for it, you will not be spreading it. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Thank u. I don't have any discomfort. I would not even know it was there if I didn't shave. But I sm shocked and very worried and teary.What do you mean I would not be spreading it once removed? Do u mean spread to myself or others? Will I always have it reoccur to me? How dangerous is it?Are there any other methods available to treat this?How urgent is this? How's my days can I wait? I don't have insurance at the moment.Am I contageous toy family members in regular daily contact?How can I ever be intimate in the future if this is hpv? Will I always have the virus to spread?How was it possible to have it if my last relationship was in March 2014 and before that it was 2011?

You are most welcome. I mean spread to others. No it may not recur again. It is not dangerous. Usually it can be freezed or burnt by a dermatologist and these are the best methods to treat it. There is no urgency, you can wait as much as you want. No you are not contiguous to your family members. Yes virus will remain but if the lesion doesn't recur after removal, you will not spread it. You might have contracted it 10 or 20 years ago and it has just presented. These lesions can remain silent for decades. I hope I have addressed all your concerns separately. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

hi, thank you very much. I was a virgin until the age of 25 :( I could not have gotten it 20 years ago.Will there be more of this? What is an incubation period? Is it STD?How much do such procedures cost in USA?Should I get a pap smear? Should I test for HPV directly?

Thank you for your input. The incubation period is from 2 weeks to 8 months. Yes it is an STD and it's world's most common STD. Nearly all sexually active humans have it but not everyone show up with a lesion. The cost will be revealed by your insurance company. Yes you should get a pap smear to be on a safe side. No there is no direct test for HPV like you can't get a blood test for HPV like you can get for herpes. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Hi thank you so much for your kind help.if the incubation period is up to 8 months, I did not have any sexual relationship at all not even kissing for over a year and 7 months, why is it appearing now?They say that HPV can clear from your system, and if I had this lesion, does it mean that the virus did not leave my system, and those who do not develop a lesion, means that they are clear of the virus?Why would it sit dormant for a long time? If I had a normal pap smear in October 2013, does it mean that I contracted after 2013?
I have been alone for a long time. I am 41 yet not too old to be alone forever. Does it mean I can never have a relationship again because I will have this virus in me?

You are always welcome. As I said, we don't know that when you got it because it can remain silent for years. No those who don't develop the lesion, can still have virus in their system. It can stay dormant for years and we don't know the reason. Yes if you had normal Pap smear in 2013, yes it is likely that you might have contracted it after that. No not at all, you can have relationship. Just get it removed and live your life the way you want because once removed, you will be fine and will not be spreading it. Having it in system and spreading it is different. Please remember to leave a positive rating. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

hi, thank you again. i am sorry for not being able to come up with all the questions at once. does it mean that my last boyfriend gave it to me since pap smear was good? I took a pap smear within a week of the first sexual relationship with him but I did not have a pap smear since. I also had a normal pap smear done in summer of 2010. how can you explain this to me? If I have a pap smear now, will it show positive for HPV?if there is no HPV test, how do they know what type of HPV it is, like there are many of HPVs. how do doctors determine the specific type?thank you
if potentially i had it before, why would i have normal pap smears?
i am sorry for asking you more but I am very distressed :(I just moved to the US for a new job. I am looking for a flat to move into and start my new job. but my insurance is not going to start till December 1, and I am very worried about it.
what could trigger it manifesting itself now than before? will these wart or other reappear again?

You are welcome. Yes your last boy friend might have gave it to you. It is not necessary for your current pap smear to be positive. Types of HPV are determined by genetic testing. Please don't worry, there is no urgency. You can wait. Low immunity can trigger it so take multivitamin daily. Yes they can reappear but not very commonly and sometime they never reappear so hope for the best. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

how long does it take for this lesion to appear on the skin? like is it a day or more? i would not have known if i did not shavewhy is there information on just skin tags including on genital areas and these skin tags are described as non cancerous and not STD? is it possible to have just a skin tag which not harmful?

It takes 2 weeks to 8 months. Yes it is possible to have a harmless tag but HPV should be considered first. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

in my case, a harmless skin tag is not possible?
how can one tell a difference between HPV /genital wart and a harmless skin tag?

Possible but less likely. I am saying this because of the look of the tag. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

A dermatologist can recognize it with his experience. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

are you 100% sure it is not skin tag? i am trying to have some hope it is. what makes you conclude HPV by the look of it?
how would a harmless skin tag look?

It's papilloma like look or you can say finger like look made me say so. But yes you can still hope for the best. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

could you please let me know how a skin tag looks like? would you have a picture please

I am sorry I don't have a picture but it's kind of a flat lesion. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Anything else you want to know? Regards

or is it also because it is on the genital area, there is no chance for it to be something harmless like a skin tag? :(
i thought that pictures i just looked up that skin tags can and do look like finger like shape? :(
am i mistaken?

No you are right. I am so sorry but we have to consider it as HPV infection until proven otherwise. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

sorry i did not understand. Do skin tags look like also finger like a bit?
what you are saying unless someone sees my lesion F2F, you have to consider it is not a skin tag?thank u
how much hope is there for it to be harmless?

Simple skin tas look like flat lesions. I have considered it a HPV lesion. Hope is 50 50. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

could you please explain? skin tag is flat and finger look like flat? my lesion is a growth of out skin sticking out but it is flat ? or do you mean a different kind of flat? i do not understand and I am sorry again for questions.

Skin tag not associated with HPV is flat

Skin tag associated with HPV is finger like

Your lesion is finger like as per picture.

Please leave a positive rating, if i have helped you.

Regards

thank you. then there is no hope for me for a positive news :(. I will leave you a rating, I am worried and I hoped it would be a skin tag. Can I still hope for 50/50 that it is not HPV? thank you
I also don't understand this. If someone may not have a wart show up for a very long time and later does have it, how I will not be spreading the virus to other people or likewise as somebody did to me the same way!!! :( my ex didn't have any visible anything or prior partner either. I don't understand them how I can be safe from others in the future and other people from me

Yes there is hope so don't worry. Actually this is a tricky thing and we also don't understand this. Some people have the lesion and never transmit it so transmission is not clear. Hope is life so hope for the best. Please leave a positive rating, if i have helped you. Regards

I don't undrstand what you mean. Please explain. Do u think that it may not be hpv? I am worried I can't sleep :( thank u
Another doctor told me that it could filliform wart. Could this be the case?I remember about a year ago my mom had smth on her leg looking like a horn and after freezing I was helping her disinfect it.
I am worried and stressed a lot. Please explain what I should not worry about.
It a shock and worry
Hi, I went to the doctor today and she examined me and said that its indeed a skin tag and not a wart. She said one needed to see it for real and not in pictures and that's why they don't do online medicine. I got extremely severe anxiety and distressed day and night and I would kindly ask for a refund. Thank you very much

You are most welcome. Don't worry you will get the refund. But I am glad that everything went well at your end. All the best. Regards

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor