Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I had a Brazilian wax a week ago. During the waxing I was

Customer Question

I had a Brazilian wax a week ago. During the waxing I was burned with the wax Being too hot. Since that day I have redness and swelling along with itching. I was told to apply Neosporin but that doesnt seem to be helping. It itches really bad and looks disgusting. What can I do.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

The burn injury you have will take time to heal. You can help it along best by putting nothing on it and sitting in water with epsom salts twice daily. That will be soothing and healing.

The redness and swelling may mean that the burned area is infected. If that's true, you'll need antibiotics, and neosporin won't really help, because the infection is under the surface.

I would use the epson salt baths, but I would also see a doctor for evaluation. The doctor will hopefully be able to tell whether antibiotics are necessary, and can give you a prescription as appropriate.

Fro the itching, I would take benadryl 25mg 1-2 3 times daily. If you need to, put a little 1% hydrocortisone on it as well. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any estimated time for healing. It is so uncomfortable.

If there is no infection and only burn injury, it should be feeling better within the next couple of days.

However, infection delays healing. If there is infection under the skin, then it won't get better until the infection is resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you get an infection from the hot wax?

Injured tissue is more susceptible to infection. If any bacteria get under or through the skin, infection can set in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You're welcome.

Please click the rating button. Thank you.