OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am a 51 yr old woman. I have had vaginal itching off and

Customer Question
on for 1 1/4 years...
I am a 51 yr old woman. I have had vaginal itching off and on for 1 1/4 years. I started hormone replacement therapy 1 1/4 years ago. This included: Estrogen, Progesterone, and Testosterone. I have had much improvement in health issues except for the frequent bladder, kidney and yeast infections that I have been treated for. This is accompanied by right flank pain and a quarter size spot in my lower right back. As a result, my stools seem to fluctuate between real "loose" and soft. I have had mild infection found in the urine and was given antibiotics and monostat to treat yeast infection.This includes several rounds. I am concerned about the 4 rounds of antibiotics , yet it may be due to the different implant doses for my hormone therapy. Urine culture result is also normal. But I still have pain and itching that is very uncomfortable. This pain often radiate up my back and into my lower region of my head to give me headaches near my brain stem. What should I do? I appreciate any advise you can give. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
10/18/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD

It sounds like your major issue is the vaginal itching. This is the gyn issue in your question. Monistat will not always treat yeast infection. Some are resistant and require Ticonazole or clotrimazole. In addition about 2 % of women may have lichen sclerosis. It's a skin condition like psoriasis in the genital area. It's treated with a specific high dose steroid creme. You would need to see a gyn dr for this.

Do bio-identical hormones cause these symptoms due to altering the doses? Which hormone needs to be fluctuated to prevent vaginal itching, headaches, and lower flank pain?It seems like my symptoms become more harsh, especially when I am due to have an implant. Thank you.

Bioidentical hormones do not cause this. If you're lacking estrogen you coukd have atrophic vaginitis. Many women are allergic to parts of the Bioidentical regime.

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified