OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Can my IUD produce too much copper and my body? There's

Customer Question
really not a lot of...
Can my IUD produce too much copper and my body? There's really not a lot of research on this just opinions. There's one study back before the copper seven was released which has more copper than the previous IUDs. And supposedly they said it was just copper in the uterus not in the bloodstream and did not affect your copper levels. What about the IUD copper seven ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/9/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi and thanks for query,

According to recent scientific studies IUD containing copper release copper locally in the uterus and fallopian that kills sperm and prevent fertilization tubes and there is minimal to no absorption of copper into the blood stream so they are safe to use.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Wish you good health.

OB GYN Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

I have an answer that is different.

The answer is that we do not know.

Only preliminary studies have been done.

For example.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7398904

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24304153

You will see that in one, copper does not increase.

In another, significantly.

When there are such preliminary studies, the answer is not sorted out until clinical trials are done.

I would mention that excess cooper, as you probably know , is a free radical enhancer...which is related to ageing and other negative factors.

I doubt this occurs with the IUD, but the device may well contribute to overall copper intake, albeit in small amounts.

Conclusions can not be drawn at this point.

It is possible that you have extra copper, and other elements from an IUD.

I am a double board certified US doctor and will always strive to give you correct, safe, precise and comprehensive answers.

Please click a positive rating on the rating scale at the top of the answer page. Let me know if you have any problems with that.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Find me any day of the week in medical by request.

"For Dr. Thomas only."

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician