OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Dr i need to know what mediction can be used for someone

Customer Question
with staphilococus aerous, as i...
Dr i need to know what mediction can be used for someone with staphilococus aerous, as i have a friend who has it...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2015
OB GYN Doctor: DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST replied 2 years ago
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST

vancomycin is the drug of choice.

How many mg? Nd What dosage?

Hello

You did not mention the indication and nature and severity of disease, The dose and duration depends on site and severity of the disease. Still I am giving a generalized dose schedule and I think you can find out your exact answer from it

Usual Adult Dose for Bacterial Infection

15 to 20 mg/kg IV every 8 to 12 hours (2 to 3 g/day); a loading dose of 25 to 30 mg/kg can be considered for seriously ill patients

The manufacturer recommends 500 mg IV every 6 hours or 1 g IV every 12 hours.

Usual Adult Dose for Bacteremia or septicemia

15 to 20 mg/kg IV every 8 to 12 hours
Duration: 2 to 6 weeks, depending on the nature and severity of the infection

Usual Adult Dose for Bacterial Endocarditis Prophylaxis

For patients allergic to penicillin: 1 g IV once; infusion should be completed within 30 minutes of the start of the procedure

Usual Adult Dose for Endocarditis

Alternate drug for patients who are unable to tolerate penicillin or ceftriaxone, and for oxacillin-resistant staphylococcal strains: 15 to 20 mg/kg IV every 8 to 12 hours with or without other antibiotics depending on the nature of the infection

Duration:
Native valve: 6 weeks
Prosthetic valve: at least 6 weeks

Maximum dose: 2 g/day unless serum concentrations are low (recommended trough: 15 to 20 mcg/mL)
Usual Adult Dose for Pseudomembranous Colitis

Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea: 125 mg orally 4 times a day for 10 days
Staphylococcal enterocolitis: 500 to 2000 mg/day given orally in 3 or 4 divided doses for 7 to 10 days

Usual Adult Dose for Enterocolitis

Usual Adult Dose for Meningitis

IV: 15 to 20 mg/kg IV every 8 to 12 hours
Duration: 10 to 14 days or at least 1 week after the patient becomes afebrile and cerebrospinal fluid normalizes

Intraventricular, intrathecal: 5 to 20 mg of a preservative-free formulation have been administered up to every 24 hours

Usual Adult Dose for Nosocomial Pneumonia

Hospital-acquired: 15 to 20 mg/kg IV every 8 to 12 hours
Recommended trough levels: 15 to 20 mcg/mL
Usual Adult Dose for Pneumonia

Due to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA): 15 to 20 mg/kg IV every 8 to 12 hours
Duration: 7 to 21 days, depending on the nature and severity of the infection

Usual Adult Dose for Osteomyelitis

15 to 20 mg/kg IV every 8 to 12 hours

Duration: 3 to 6 weeks or at least 8 weeks if due to MRSA; oral antibiotics may be required for chronic osteomyelitis for an additional 1 to 2 months

Usual Adult Dose for Febrile Neutropenia

15 mg/kg IV every 12 hours

Duration: Once the patient is stable, afebrile for at least 24 hours, and the absolute neutrophil count is greater than 500/mm3, oral antibiotics may be substituted if antibiotic therapy is to be continued.

Usual Adult Dose for Peritonitis

IV: 15 mg/kg IV every 12 hours
Duration: 14 days, depending on the nature and severity of the infection

Intraperitoneal:
CAPD patients: 15 to 30 mg/kg every 5 to 7 days or 30 to 50 mg/L exchange; dosages may be increased by 25% in nonanuric patients
Duration: 14 to 21 days, depending on the nature and severity of the infection

Usual Adult Dose for Burns - External

15 mg/kg IV every 12 hour

Usual Adult Dose for Sepsis

15 mg/kg IV every 12 hours

Duration: 10 to 14 days, depending on the nature and severity of the infection; longer therapy may be necessary in neutropenic or immunocompromised patients

Usual Adult Dose for Shunt Infection

IV: 15 to 20 mg/kg IV every 8 to 12 hours (up to 2 to 3 g/day)
Intraventricular: 5 to 20 mg of a preservative-free formulation have been administered up to every 24 hours

Usual Adult Dose for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection

15 mg/kg IV every 12 hours
Duration: 10 to 14 days, depending on the nature and severity of the infection

Usual Adult Dose for Surgical Prophylaxis

1 g IV once; infusion should be completed within 30 minutes of the start of the procedure
The dose may be repeated if the procedure lasts longer than 6 hours.

Usual Pediatric Dose for Bacterial Infection

Less than 7 days, less than 1200 g: 15 mg/kg IV every 24 hours
Less than 7 days, 1200 to 2000 g: 10 to 15 mg/kg IV every 12 to 18 hours
Less than 7 days, greater than 2000 g: 10 to 15 mg/kg IV every 8 to 12 hours

7 days up to 1 month, less than 1200 g: 15 mg/kg IV every 24 hours
7 days up to 1 month, 1200 to 2000 g: 10 to 15 mg/kg IV every 8 to 12 hours
7 days up to 1 month, greater than 2000 g: 10 to 15 mg/kg IV every 6 to 8 hours

1 month to 18 years: 10 to 20 mg/kg IV every 6 to 8 hours (total 40 to 60 mg/kg/day)

The manufacturer recommends an initial dose of 15 mg/kg in neonates, followed by 10 mg/kg every 12 hours for neonates in the first week of life and every 8 hours thereafter up to 1 month of age. The manufacturer recommends 10 mg/kg IV every 6 hours for pediatric patients.

Usual Pediatric Dose for Bacterial Endocarditis Prophylaxis

1 month or older:
For patients allergic to penicillin: 20 mg/kg IV (maximum 1 g) once; infusion should be completed within 30 minutes of the start of the procedure

Gentamicin 1.5 mg/kg (maximum 120 mg) IV or IM may be added for high-risk patients.

Usual Pediatric Dose for Peritonitis

CAPD patients: 30 mg/kg intraperitoneally every 5 to 7 days or 30 mg/L exchange

Usual Pediatric Dose for Pseudomembranous Colitis

1 to 18 years: 40 mg/kg/day orally in 3 or 4 divided doses
Maximum dose: 2 g/day
Duration: 7 to 10 days

Usual Pediatric Dose for Enterocolitis

Maximum dose: 2 g/day
Duration: 7 to 10 days

Usual Pediatric Dose for Surgical Prophylaxis

15 mg/kg IV once, with or without gentamicin; infusion should be completed within 30 minutes of the start of the procedure
Thank you

DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS