How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.M.D.Mazumdar Your Own Question
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 9036
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 39. I had my second c-section in April 2014. Tonight,

Customer Question

Hi. I'm 39. I had my second c-section in April 2014. Tonight, while lying in bed, I rubbed the c-section scar very lightly and my finger went right through it! I've stopped the bleeding, but now there's just an open spot in my scar. There's no skin flap to pull back over. Is this something I need to see a doctor for or should I bandage it and see if it heels? I'm pretty shocked by how little pressure caused this. I was not even scratching.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 2 years ago.


Yes, you do need to see a doctor.

What probably happened is that you had a spot of infection in that area after the CS. The infection cleared up but an empty space remained which then became covered by thin scar tissue. This gave way when you rubbed it.

Your doctor will need to assess how deep the open space is and the integrity of the scar. You may not need any treatment if the empty space is quite shallow but if it is deep, you may need it to be sutured .

Since there was bleeding, there is also a chance of an infection.

Please see a doctor as early as possible.