OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

My vagina is very red itchy and swellon

Customer Question
My vagina is very red itchy and swellon
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
9/22/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

It will help if you could first provide some additional information.

Are you also having a discharge?

If so, what color is the discharge?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

Redness, itching, and swelling of the vagina is most often a sign of infection, and if there is a discharge, the characteristics of the discharge can help suggest the type of infection.

However, the most common type of vaginal infection is a yeast infection of the vagina, caused by a type of yeast called Candida. Other common infections can be caused by trichomonas or by an overgrowth of bacteria, called bacterial vaginosis. When the itching is more pronounced, it is more likely that it is a Candidal infection. If there is a white discharge associated with the other symptoms, then the likelihood would be greater.

If there is a Candidal vaginal infection, then there are several over the counter medicines that may help, such as miconazole or clotrimazole. The other types of infection, though, require prescription medicines for proper treatment.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor