Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I wanted to ask about an on going issue that sort of scares

Customer Question

Hi I wanted to ask about an on going issue that sort of scares me... I have had for the past 6-7 months bleeding between periods ... Not every month but maybe now about 4 times ... And lately it happens every month. I never have had children I'm not married
.. Or active. I got my period around 11-12 years old... And in my early twenties I stopped getting my period for about 2 years I'd get it every 3-6 months that's when I went to see a gynecologist and she prescribed medication to regulate it and that worked
for some time ..but after a few years I went back to missing it 2-3 months I'm not sexually active at all. But later in my age I had some thyroid issues and I had gain a bit of weight my period started to get more normal.. But now that I'm 33 these past 3
years it's been a bit odd I get bleeding between periods with discharge and some abdominal discomfort.. And sometimes my periods are heaven and other times very light .. Last around 3-4 days. Should visit a gynecologist about this issue..??.. If so what do
I ask them to do what kind of tests?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

How regular do your periods come in the past year?

Are you taking any medications? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get them every month... Sometimes with more discharge and sometime more normal...I'm not taking meds now ..but in that past 2 years I suffered from severe anxiety and panic attacks and I was taking generic hypothyroid medication but I stopped and opted for "natural" supplements instead... I took those for around 5-6 months and when I went to get it checked it was under the normal ranges.. So the doctor took me off the meds and said to keep taking the supplements .. I eventually stopped them. And last year I had my thyroid levels checked because of a bad panic attack episode that landed me in the hospital ... And they said they were normal. I had blood work done in Jan/feb of this year that said my thyroid was normal as well. The concerning thing was I was told I was pre-diabetic ...but I'm working on my weight and diet I've really tried to change my diet and that has brought on so many weird changes ... I feel like I'm in a sort of a detox stage.

Your bleeding between periods and your past history of prolonged times between periods suggest that you probably have some extra buildup of your uterine lining. It needs to be checked out.

You also could have polyps or fibroids in your uterus, but just a thickened lining is the most likely.

Your doctor will probably do an endometrial biopsy (think tube through the cervix to sample the uterine lining). As long as that's normal, some progesterone pills will help to clean off the uterine lining and clear up the spotting between periods.

The risk is that the buildup of the lining can lead to precancerous changes. In case they are present, you might need a D&C to clean out the lining.

I would recommend making an appointment with your doctor.