Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My left breast was sensitive. I couldn't find where the pain

Customer Question

My left breast was sensitive. I couldn't find where the pain was coming from. When I push on the nipple, there is a little ball that is very sore. The other breast doesn't have this. It is just since yesterday. Could it be a gland? It never hurt before yesterday.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

How old are you? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
57

Have you had a mammogram?

How large is the ball you feel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had many mammograms, I am due to have another next month. The ball is about the size of a pea, or a little smaller.

I think that the most likely cause of your pain and the little ball is that you have fibrocystic changes of your breast.

I would recommend that you see your doctor to have it checked out. Pain is rarely an early sign of cancer, and pain from a cyst and fibrocystic changes are very common.

Your doctor will do an exam and then may wish to do a mammogram and ultrasound. If that shows that the ball is a small cyst, and there are no abnormal changes, you can probably try to ignore it.

If there is any question, your doctor may suggest to have the ball removed, which would be fairly easy with local anesthesia.