How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Your Own Question
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 3064
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am experiencing a constant, watery, vaginal discharge and

Customer Question

I am experiencing a constant, watery, vaginal discharge and I can't figure out the cause
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with watery discharge. It would be helpful to have more history. From the post, I can't tell your age. How old are you?

Watery discharge can be from various causes and homing in on the cause depends on taking some history and also on exam. If the discharge is clear and not itching or burning, it's likely to be just from the glands on the cervix if a woman is young. In older women, watery discharge is a bit more concerning and would require an ultrasound to be sure that the ovaries, fallopian tubes and uterus are normal.

Please reply with additional information so I can continue to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 24 years old. It is usually brown and very watery, but sometimes a pale yellow. There is no itching or burning. It feels as though my vagina is "leaking." I'm constantly having to wear a pad or change my underwear. I have recently had two pap smears and std tests and everything is normal. The discharge began after my last period, which was about a week ago. I'm concerned because I have never experienced this before.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Brown is old blood. No odor?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

I think this is unusual enough that I'd get a pelvic ultrasound. There may be a collection of blood up higher in the genital tract, perhaps the uterus. It could be slowly discharging to cause this constant flow. It doesn't sound normal to me and if I had a patient with this history, I would be searching for a cause. Did you mention it to your gynecologist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't noticed any odor. I suspected that I had left a tampon inside from my last period, but nothing was up there. But I did have some white clumpiness inside so I'm wondering if this could be a yeast infection. I haven't seen my gynecologist since this began.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have been tested for uti recently and everything is normal
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Usually a yeast infection causes a thick white clumpy discharge with itching. It would be a good idea to schedule an appointment with your gynecologist for this symptom. They can examine you and be sure that there is no infection as a cause. If there is no infection on exam, an ultrasound would be the next step.

Any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea of what's causing this?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

At your age it's likely to be overactive cervical glands. The other thing I think of if the discharge is brown is a congenital anomaly of the genital tract. This means being born with a slightly different shape of uterus. That can cause blood to be trapped and come out as watery brown discharge. That's the reason for the ultrasound. So exam would check the vagina and cervix to look at the discharge. I would also take a sample of the discharge to look under the microscope for infections. Also take a culture to send to the lab looking for infections. Lastly an ultrasound to look for trapped blood.

Anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be the treatment if it's not just overactive cervical glands?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If an infection, than treatment of the infection. If an anomaly with trapped blood, it depend on the exact findings on the imaging. Usually some surgical correction. But we're talking way ahead of ourselves. First is to schedule an appointment with your gyne to talk specifically about this discharge. It may be something very simple. Not possible to tell without an exam.

Anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. I hope it turns out to be something simple and easy to solve.

Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Also remember that follow-up questions are included in your service. So check back if you think of more questions later.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. checking to be sure everything went well. If no more questions, please leave a rating. Thanks.