OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have been constipated off and on for a while due to

Customer Question
medication . last night I...
I have been constipated off and on for a while due to medication . last night I went to the bathroom and I just had to go. So I gritted my teeth and pushed with all my might..There was I large hard bulge in my rectum area that I knrw had to come out so o kept baring down hard.Then I felt like something gave way in the vagina.I did a very large hard stool. Not much as I had this feeling there was something worse happening in the vaginal area.I put my hand there and it felt my inner parts of the vagina had gone . The clitoris was just not there just sagging.The
Labia minora was gone and the insind of my vagina felt spongey.The mons pubis had dropped I think as I pulled it back to find whetheranything was there . nothing. My vagina was like a cavern.
Thete was a small bulge at the .vagina.my peritermnium or that area between the vagina and anus had become one long section. No defining marks or puckering in between. What on earth has happened. Im not in any physical .pain but I am so worried.What have I done.will I ever get my vagina back and the area between there and my bottom. Please help me.
Joanne.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
9/9/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. C., Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you.

I'm sorry about this trouble you've had. It sounds like a prolapse of some kind but in order to be able to tell what is going on and best option for helping it, it would be most helpful if you could attach a photo using the paperclip icon on your screen. If you're not able to do that, you'll need to be examined. With the pressure of intense pushing, it's possible that the walls of the vagina have collapsed outward distorting all the anatomy. This can likely be surgically corrected.

Please reply so I can help you further.

We need to continue in this thread until you are able to give a rating for my service before opening a new question. Follow-up questions are included in the original question.

The type of surgery depends on what has prolapsed. This is determined by exam. For example the front vaginal wall can prolapse by itself or the back vaginal wall or both. Also the intestines can be involved in the prolapse. Or the cervix and uterus itself. So the type of surgery usually involves tightening the ligaments back up. Often a hysterectomy is done at the same time to relieve some of the pressure on the ligaments.

This is considered a major surgery and would need to be done by a properly trained gynecologist. Complications of this type of surgery are unpleasant so the doctor doing this type of surgery needs additional training. The correct doctor is called a "urogynecologist". No other doctor should be consulted for severe prolapse as you seem to be describing.

If necessary, you should travel to have the right doctor, depending on where you live.

Any other questions?

Recovery is variable, depending on the extent of the repair. It may be 2-6 weeks. There is sometimes a need for a catheter for a week or so if the front vaginal wall is prolapsed. But it's impossible to say without an exam. Any other questions?

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified