Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I started getting a burning type pain when I urinate

Customer Question

Hi, I started getting a burning type pain when I urinate yesterday. I had a pain in the bottom of my stomach, and I felt the urge to pee more frequently than normal, however when I went to go pee, I barely released any fluid, and instead just experienced this intense burning feeling. Last night before going to bed, I noticed some blood when I wiped, however I'm not due on my period for another 2 weeks, and it wasn't like menstrual bleeding. I didn't notice any significant amounts of blood in my urine however, just when I wiped. I've woken up this morning to begin getting ready for work, and the pain and blood is still there, what should I do?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.A few questions first to clarify your concern:

A few questions first to clarify your concern:
1. how much water do you drink per day?

2. How much caffiene (soda, tea, coffee, energy drinks, etc. ) per day?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I drink quite a bit of green tea, though over the past 4/5 days I've been drinking more energy drinks/coffee/tea etc due to tiredness
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response.

It sounds like you have a urinary tract infection (UTI) which occurs most often when a woman gets behind on her water intake. While you are drinking green tea, the caffeine content is resulting in diminished water for the body to do its job. This is the most common cause of UTI in woman.

A UTI may require antibiotic treatment if not caught early. However if you start drinking water, and not green tea or other caffeinated products you may be able to clear the infection by diluting the bladder liquid. If you don't feel better in a day or so then you may need to take antibiotics. You should start drinking ranberry juice which will acidify the urine and also help to reduce the bacteria.

It is important to remember there are always some bacteria in the bladder, so you need to regular rinse it by having enough water in your system. If your pain increases, or if cramping occurs then a urine exam is needed with probable antibiotic treatment

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 2 years ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 2 years ago.

Correction: start drinking cranberry juice .....

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 2 years ago.

Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time

Have a great day!