OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

My daughter has been taking iron tablets for 1 month and has

Customer Question
bleeding in her poo is...
My daughter has been taking iron tablets for 1 month and has bleeding in her poo is this a side effect of the tablest
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
9/4/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

Iron tablets can turn the stool dark, but will not cause blood.

Your daughter should have the bleeding checked out.

The most likely cause is probably hemorrhoids, but cancer of the colon and rectum are possible.

It's recommended that everyone get screening for colon cancer beginning at age 50. An exam and probably a colonoscopy will determine the reason for the bleeding, and will show whether there is any cancer.

Taking iron tablets can sometimes cause constipation, and hermorrhoids are often associated with constipation. Best wishes to you both.

Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN