OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have PhD presentation in two weeks. I have anxiety

Customer Question
Hi I have PhD...
Hi I have PhD presentation in two weeks. I have anxiety problems and fear of public speaking. I always struggled with these issues, but always tried to find natural ways to treat my anxiety. I used medicines to help only 10 years ago, at that time I used xanax and inderal. Inderal did not help at all. While xanax was like magic, I used it in my wedding, and the fear just disappeared completely. Overall I used the xanax only 4 times one in my wedding and one for public speaking and two other occasions in high stress social situations.
After that I never used anything again because I don't like things that play on the brain and also I have anxieties from medicines to add to the mix.
I used valerian root extract once four months ago to help with social anxiety, I felt a bit of a relief, not as strong as xanax of course, but it took the edge off a little.
Now this presentation that I need to do is an oral exam for my PhD. I am extremely anxious. I need to focus on my studies instead of focusing on my anxieties.
My doctor prescribed xanax 0.25 mg. I thought to take half of it, since my anxiety is mild I just need to cool down a bit :'"((
but still I am scared of using the 0.125 mg. I am scared I won't be able to concentrate on my presentation or know what to answer when they ask me questions. I remember ten years ago that xanax worked fine. I don't know how I will react now. I am scared to have crazy thought or depressive thought after using it, or that it will change something in my brain or personality, or affect my balance in front of the committee. I am just scared :'''((
I don't know what to do. I feel confident in my word, I feel I want to share the info and I am not scared of presenting, I am scared of blushing, it's like I can't control the panic attack.
I thought to take valerian but I am also scared it won't work enough to take away the anxiety.
Is it safe to take 0.125 mg xanax ? will it affect my speach and concentration? is it ok to cut the pill in half ? or will this affect the absorption time and is dangerous ?
please help
I wish I am normal in this aspect, but thank God anyway I have many other good things thanks God
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
hello ?
9/1/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

It's safe to take the xanax 0.125mg. A usual dose of xanax is 0.25mg, and that works well for most people.

Since you've used xanax in the past, you have a pretty good idea how it will work for you. It should work similar to the way it did before.

Your anxiety and fear of public speaking is common. Some of us have a tendency to blush more than others, which only makes it worse. The tendency to blush is usually genetic, inherited from your ancestors.

I would recommend taking 0.125 about an hour or so before your presentation. If you're still feeling very anxious 15 minutes before, then take the other 0.125mg. Most likely you will do very well with that.

As long as you only use the xanax on rare occasions, such as you've been doing, there is no harm in it, and it can be very helpful. Best wishes.

OB GYN Doctor: larry-cssm,
 replied 2 years ago
larry-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (paste the question link into the response). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN