Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had an unprotected sex intercourse two days ago (aug26)

Customer Question

I had an unprotected sex intercourse two days ago (aug26) and this is my first time. There was a bleeding. My last menstruation was last aug20. I fear that i might be pregnant cause im feeling weird in my tummy. It's like always bloated and i feel like
vomiting. And so i tried taking two pills of diane 35 today aug28. Bad thing is i'm in gcc (middle east) and i really need to get rid of pregnancy. Any advice please?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.

If your period started August 20 (8 days ago), you're very unlikely to get pregnant from intercourse 2 days ago. You may still wish to take emergency contraception (EC), but Diane 35 is not one of the recommended pills.

Birth control pills that are recommended for EC mostly have levonorgestrel for the progesterone. Diane 35 has cytoproterone. The problem is that cytoproterone has not been studied for EC. Although it might work, no one knows the correct dosage.

For most birth control pills used for EC, it's recommended to take 4 pills now and repeat in 12 hours. You can see a list of EC pills here http://ec.princeton.edu/questions/dose.html

But as I said, pregnancy is quite unlikely from intercourse 6 days after a period starts.