OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Itching started in the front then now is also in the anus.it

Customer Question
has been two weeks of...
Itching started in the front then now is also in the anus.it has been two weeks of torture. Tried washing with vinegar and water, vagisil,cortisone-10, and neosporin. No relief. I have bruised myself from rubbing. I am a diabetic senior citizen.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
8/28/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

The most common cause of vaginal itching is a yeast infection. All the treatments that you've mentioned might help itching, but won't do anything about a yeast infection.

However, since the itching is also near the anus, I suspect that you might have a condition called lichen sclerosus. This usually causes some whitening of the tissues involved, but it can be faint and hard to see.

You might try an over the counter yeast cream to see if that helps. In the meantime, I would also make an appointment with an OB/GYN doctor, in case the yeast cream doesn't resolve the itching (should be much better in 1-2 days if it's from yeast.

If it is lichen sclerosus, it's treated with a potent steroid cream, which controls it quite well. Best wishes.

I'm not satisfied with your answer. However, luckily I was able to find some probiotics and some antihistamines that helped. Sometimes an itch is caused by something circulating in the blood. In such cases, applying cream locally will not help.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN