Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

My daughter inlaw is 7 weeks pregnant and went for some

Customer Question

My daughter inlaw is 7 weeks pregnant and went for some tests yesterday whereby she was told she has Trichomonas Vaginitis Trophozoites and was precribed Tinidazole tablets to take all 4 at one time. My question is, is it safe to take this at this term
in pregnancy and is not what is the other alternative she can use?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern.

You have asked a great and very timely question.

Generally, as a practicing obstetrician, i recommend waiting until the end of the first trimester (13 weeks) before these types of agents are use; although there are cases where I will prescribe if the pregnancy is at least 10 weeks old. This is due to the concern of the effect on the developing fetus. If the symptoms are severe, i.e a lot of discharge, itching & odor then making certain changes can help to relieve some of these symptoms until the 10 wk mark has passed

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

If your daughter's symptoms are severe then she should make sure she remains well hydrated. i.e taking in plenty of water and avoiding caffeine (which can dehydrate one) especially in hot weather. Using a pantyliner can help absorb the discharge and allow for frequent changing thereby reducing the discomfort from the odor.

Let me know if you have any further questions.