Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have had my IUD in since 2012. The past year I have been

Customer Question

I have had my IUD in since 2012. The past year I have been having abnormal discharge (white and thick to almost cottage cheese like and sometimes seems like tissue - flesh - not tissue paper). I have been tested for STD's and am clear. Here are my other symptoms - brown discharge between periods with cramping and pelvic pain, lower back pain, aching in my abdomen, period has completely changed to sometimes bleeding, sometimes brown discharge tinged with blood. lots of clotts or fleshy tissue like discharge.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.

What kind of IUD do you have?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mirena

The discharge is likely related to having the IUD. As long as there is no STD, I don't think there is any concern.

The brown discharge is also likely due to the Mirena, and also I wouldn't be worried.

The cramping and pelvic pain are also likely related to the IUD. The only solution for them is probably to remove the IUD. When everything clears up, you may wish to have another Mirena inserted.