OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

My wife has been taking 10mg provera for the past 2 weeks,

Customer Question
initially 2 x 10mg and...
My wife has been taking 10mg provera for the past 2 weeks, initially 2 x 10mg and for the last 4 days 1 x 10mg to prevent her period (which wasn't due until next week).
Despite taking this she has had all her normal period symptoms and started bleeding two days ago - more lightly than a standard period but still a lot more than spotting.
She weighs 54kg and is 151 cm tall. She has never taken contraceptive pills or provera previously and the only reason we have now was to avoid this happening when we are in Hawaii (we leave for Hawaii in 3 days).
Is this normal? Should she increase the dose to try and stop the period or just stop taking it and accept that it doesn't work for her?
If she stops taking it will she have an extra long or extra heavy period?
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
8/24/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

In my opinion, this isn't a very good way to prevent a period from coming. Progesterone can be used to delay a period, but it usually requires more than provera 10mg 2 daily. 3-4 times a day might do it. It's the drop in progesterone that brings on a period, so decreasing from 2 to 1 time daily only encouraged the period to come.

The standard way to delay a period is norethisterone 5mg taken 3 times daily starting 3 days before an expected period.

Once a period has started, it's more difficult to stop it. I would recommend that she stop the Provera, let the period come. Her period will probably not be any longer than usual, and may be shorter and less heavy due to the provera. Best wishes.

When we got to the usa about 10 days ago my wife got a rash on her face, possibly a reaction to the facial cleanser she was using.We saw a Dr over her and she was given a steroid shot to calm it down and has been taking a course of steroids since. - methylprednisolone tablets, 4mg. Could these be affecting the provera?Also, I am confused - we wanted to delay her period until we got back home, and this is why we were prescribed provera.Are you saying that provera doesn't do this?

I'm saying that the dose was too small, and decreasing from 2 daily to 1 daily helped her period to start.

It's also possible that the steroids have helped bring on her period. Steroids can affect a woman's periods, often in unpredictable ways.

If she continues to take the provera will it prolong her period?Also just to confirm, if she does stop taking the provera she won't get an "additional" period?

Yes, I think continuing to take the provera may prolong her period. Her period wants to come, so it's better to let it come.

If she stops taking the provera, her period will likely get heavier, but there won't be an additional period.

Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN