Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I will be 49 next month and think I may be in perimenopause.

Customer Question

I will be 49 next month and think I may be in perimenopause. No matter how much exercise I keep gaining weight in my middle and am having terrible issues with anxiety for no good reason
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.

How much exercise do you do?

How is your diet?

How are your periods?

Do you take any medications? Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I usually use the elliptical 2x per day for 45 mins each for daily total of 8 miles--4x per week. My diet is OK--banana and glass of milk for breakfast, tuna sandwich for lunch, standard dinner ( spegetti, stew, chicken/rice--grill out). I am not a snicker , but do have some dark chocolate everyday. I usually have a couple glasses of red wine on the weekends. I take a multi-vitamin (source of life gold) plus a calcium/mag supplement. I also take a fish oil tablet everyday
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry--forgot--my periods are all over now. Coming anywhere between 2 weeks to over 5 weeks apart. More often they are very close together than farther apart.
Your exercise and diet seem good, although on the days you don't use the elliptical, I would try to do something, at least a good walk.
I think that you are perimenopausal, which is causing the irregular periods. I would see your doctor for evaluation, since there is likely some buildup of the uterine lining, which can lead to cancer over time. Some progesterone pills can help to reverse that.
Being perimenopausal, some of your weight gain is likely due to water retention. Over time I think it will even out.
If you get the bleeding controlled and get some exercise daily, I think this will all work itself out over time.