Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My periods are always normal. but this month was not. my

Customer Question

my periods are always normal. but this month was not. my blood was brown and smelled bad. im 41 years old and can no longer get pregnant. I had a tubal ligation 10 years ago. cancer does run in the family. what do you think?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.

Did this period come when expected?

Was it as heavy as usual and last as long as usual?

When did this last period start?

Have you had any new sex partners lately? Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It fid come as expected ,it was normal as usual EXCEPT the brown color and horrible smell. I have new sex partner....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My ex told me he felt a lump inside and I spotted after sex

When did your last period start?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Started on August 11 and just ended...

Most likely you have something called bacterial vaginosis (BV), which is where the good vaginal bacteria are replaced by other bacteria, which cause the odor. I'm not sure about the brown color, but it's probably also caused by the bacteria.

BV is not an infection, but it is treated with certain antibiotics if it persists.

The BV may clear on its own once your period is over. If so, no further treatment is needed. If it doesn't clear up, then I would see your doctor for an exam and treatment. The diagnosis can be made by looking at your discharge with a microscope.

I don't know about the lump, and if you can tell that there is a lump there, I'd probably see your doctor. Many men feel the cervix and think it's an abnormal lump.