OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I am 23 weeks pregnant, this is my second pregnancy with no

Customer Question
Hi. I am 23...
Hi. I am 23 weeks pregnant, this is my second pregnancy with no complications so far. For the past two days I've been feeling a lot of vaginal pressure, so I did a self inspection (for lack of better wording) and it feels like my cervix is dilated at least 2 centimeters. Is this cause for concern?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
8/17/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
It's definitely cause for concern. If your cervix is actually 2 cm dilated, you likely have something called incompetent cervix. There would be a high risk of premature delivery if not treated. It would require minor surgery to put in a suture to close up the cervix.
I would try to see your doctor as soon as possible. In the meantime, I would spend most of your time lying down, as that helps to take the pressure off the cervix.
Unless you are experienced examining your cervix, it may not actually be 2 cm dilated, but I wouldn't take any chances. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN