OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have a question about early pregnancy. I just found out on

Customer Question
8/11 that I was 5...
I have a question about early pregnancy. I just found out on 8/11 that I was 5 weeks and three days pregnant. I drank heavily in these weeks due to family being in town and summer camping trips. I would guess I had 8-12 units of alcohol each day, not to mention the endless red bull consumption. What is the reality of me having a child with FAS? I have read that if you drank on day 19, 20, or 21 of gestation that your child will definitely have facial abnormalities- is that true?
Thanks.
I need any advice you have. I have quit drinking now that I know.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
8/16/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. SH, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Your concerns about FAS are not unfounded, however, there is 30% increased risk of FAS considering your drinking habits and considering the timing of your excessive drinking.
So, this, by no means means that the chances of having FAS is 100%.
If you have already quit drinking by now, the chances of having FAS reduce a lot.
Meanwhile I would recommend that you should maintain a close follow-up with your obstetrician with regular ultrasounds.
Mention all the details of your drinking habits to your OB doctor.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars.
Kind regards
Thanks. :(
You are most welcome.
Wish you all the best.
If you ever have more questions do let me know.
I am here daily
Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars as that is the only way I am credited here for helping you out.
Take care
Good bye :)
Dr. SH
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor