OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I'm 5 days away from my due date and have come down with a

Customer Question
I'm 5 days away from...
I'm 5 days away from my due date and have come down with a yeast infection. What do i do??? I didn't realize i had one when I went into labour with my first and she ended up with thrush which I want to avaoid going through again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
8/16/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Im sorry to hear about your current problem. Yeast infections are common in pregnancy and can be easily treated, although you due date is close you can still be treated with the appropiate medications. There are several non prescription medication available for treating them but its not advisable to use them without a doctors supervision especially this close to your due date. I would recommend that you visit your OB/GYN and have them examine the situation first and then prescribe you any one of the anti fungal agents available in the market.

I wouldnt recommend using the medication available OTC without your OB/GYN supervision this close to the due date. Sometimes it can be another infection rather than a yeast infection, so its better to have it checked out.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated J. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Thanks for the non answer. I know they're common and I know what one feels like. My obeys isn't available until Monday and I'm due on Thursday.....sorry...not going through labour with one

Im sorry you feel this way ill opt out so another expert can answer your question.

OB GYN Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
We can not take the place of your OB.
We answer questions, we do not treat or diagnose
How do you even know this is a yeast infection?
You need an exam since you are pregnant.
I suggest that if you can not wait until tomorrow, you go immediately to urgent care or the ER.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
I know it's a yeast infection because it's not my first one, not my first one during this pregnancy and I've been swab tested to rule out BV when I came down with the same symptoms earlier in my pregnancy. What exactly would be your concern with using Canesten this late in the pregnancy?
I'm really miserable and don't really have the time to waste seeing how close I am to my due date. I had a very mild yeast infection when I was in labour with my first child (so mild I didn't even know it) and both she and I ended up with thrush that made breast feeding unbearable.
Canestan is a category C drug. Animal studies have shown adverse effects at all stages of pregnancy. It can be used, but only with your doctors supervision and OK.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician