Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am usually regular, even with mirena. I have never missed

Customer Question

I am usually regular, even with mirena. I have never missed a period. I had my IUD out in June on cycle day 15 and went on to have a period that was on time for me, 29 day cycle. Now, I am 12 days late. I was supposed to start on Aug 2 and started experiencing
cramps on Aug 1 like my period was coming along with dull backache. That has been on and off since then. My boobs have been slightly swollen and firm for the last week and a half. Usually they are only firm before my period starts. Today when I did cervical
position check, my discharge had brown blood in there. Is this a late period coming on or should I take a pregnancy test?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Since you have never missed a period, I would do a pregnancy test. Pregnancy seems fairly likely.
If your pregnancy test is negative, it still may be possible that this is a pregnancy destined to become a miscarriage. The other possibility is that you didn't ovulate this month, which may happen because you're not age 30, and not ovulating is more likely after age 30.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is brown discharge common in early pregnancy? IF, I was pregnant, I would be about 5.5 weeks. Also, should I wait until the morning to test?
Brown discharge is fairly common in early pregnancy, and is very common in an early pregnancy that will end in miscarriage.
Pregnancy tests are so good nowadays that most will detect an early pregnancy anytime during the day. They are more accurate on a first morning urine, so that's probably better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is a late period, why would I have experienced sensations like my period was coming for almost 2 weeks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it common for mirena to do something like this shortly after removal despite me having regular periods.

Those sensations could also come from an early pregnancy.

After removal, the mirena will have no effect on your periods. Your period being late had nothing to do with the mirena.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it could go either way, but in your experience what is more likely given my history?

I think that the most likely would be an early pregnancy that will become a miscarriage. However, it may also be a missed period due to your age.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it matter if the cervical mucus with brown blood isn't discharging, it's just by my cervix. I also had only lotion cm but today it's a mix of lotiony an them the consistentcy of EWCM with some brown blood.

It's hard to know. Increased mucous discharge can be seen with either pregnancy or when a woman doesn't ovulate.