OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I Just had my hsg and my dr recommended clomid but would

Customer Question
prefer I start next cycle...
I Just had my hsg and my dr recommended clomid but would prefer I start next cycle with IUI instead of trying to ovulate and get pregnant at home. I would prefer to start conservatively
How can I get a RX for clomid called into my pharmacy if he is making me wait until CD 8/9 so that I miss this cycle on purpose he says it's unlikely we can get pregnant without him but I'd at least like to try a cycle while we wait for my husbands "sperm Washing" until next month
I've been TTC for over 18months and this seems cruel
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
FYI I'm healthy and in an ideal weight range and he's seems to push IUI and ivf strongly saying I've tried on my own and it doesn't work, however I've never had the opportunity to try with clomid helping my ovaries release a "ideal" egg. Is this unreasonable? And can I get a RX called in without him?
8/13/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
How regular are your periods?
Do you know if and when you ovulate?
What is your doctor making you wait until CD 8/9 for?
Is the sperm count normal? Thank you.
My cycles are very normal 29-31days usually and I know when I ovulate using opk's and is generally right about day 16-18 however I do not have a normal temp shift with Bbt as I temp at 4am and don't always get great sleep so it's unreliable
Sperm count also normal.
Dr wants me to wait another month because he doesn't think it's worth my time (he says my time but I'm sure he means his) to try at home as he wants me to do IUI for 3 months then try ivf without even trying to take clomid and try at home.
Because of this he won't prescribe until it's too late in my current cycle to use it, thus forcing me into waiting yet another month and making me more desperate to do IUI (his way) and less options for me
He said because there is a small chance of getting pregnant on my own with clomid I shouldn't get my hopes up and disagrees with my want to start conservatively
I think that the only way you can get a prescription for clomid would be to see another doctor. Your doctor sounds somewhat inflexible and not listening to you well.
That said, as long as you're ovulating each month, clomid will only add a small amount. I'm not sure there is much evidence that clomid will cause an "ideal egg" to be released.
When a woman doesn't get pregnant, and there is no cause found (unexplained infertility), we generally try clomid, then clomid with IUI, and then consider higher technology, like ivf. Some women will get pregnant on their own, some with each method, and many will get pregnant with ivf.
If you otherwise like your doctor pretty well, you're probably stuck with doing what he advises. Otherwise you might wish to get another opinion. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN