DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST
Experience:  MBBS(CAL)MD(G&O)
15221770

Four to five weeks ago I started having unbearable stinging

Customer Question

Four to five weeks ago I started having unbearable stinging burning pain in my vagina and me bottom. I could not see anything although last week felt some cluster bumps around my anus. During that time I was tested for yeast and std. It's came back inconclusive for herpes. Last week I swabed me self again and it came back negative. I started anti viral meds 1 week ago and it's helped me a bit. I don't think I swabed the right spot as it has to be herpes I have every symptom. Headache has stopped but burning comes and goes. My bottom cheeks even burn like on fire. How long will this last as it is my first out break. My vagina feels raw it's killing me. I think the blisters may be inside as its really saw inside my vagina. Is it true starting the meds 5 weeks after out break lessened there effect? And is it common for a swab to come back negative ? My fever comes and goes as well.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 1 year ago.

hello

Genital herpes is a common and highly contagious infection usually spread through sex. This infection is usually caused by the herpes simplex virus-2 (HSV-2) or the herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1), the virus usually responsible for cold sores. Genital herpes treatment includes medicines to help sores heal faster and prevent outbreaks.

Treatment with antiviral drugs can help people who are bothered by genital outbreaks stay symptom-free longer. These drugs can also reduce the severity and duration of symptoms when they do flare up. Drug therapy is not a cure, but it can make living with the condition easier.

There are three major drugs commonly used to treat genital herpes symptoms: acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir(Valtrex). These are all taken in pill form. Severe cases may be treated with the intravenous (IV) drug acyclovir.

{C}· Initial treatment. If you have symptoms such as sores when you're first diagnosed with genital herpes, your doctor will usually give you a brief course (seven to 10 days) of antiviral therapy to relieve them or prevent them from getting worse. Your doctor may keep you on the drugs longer if the sores don't heal in that time.

After the first treatment, work with your doctor to come up with the best way to take antiviral therapies. There are two options:

{C}· Intermittent treatment. Your doctor may prescribe an antiviral drug for you to keep on hand in case you have another flare-up; this is called intermittent therapy. You can take the pills for two to five days as soon as you notice sores or when you feel an outbreak coming on. Sores will heal and disappear on their own, but taking the drugs can make the symptoms less severe and make them go away faster.

{C}· Suppressive treatment. If you have outbreaks often, you may want to consider taking an antiviral drug every day. Doctors call this suppressive therapy. For someone who has more than six outbreaks a year, suppressive therapy can reduce the number of outbreaks by 70% to 80%. Many people who take the antiviral drugs daily have no outbreaks at all.

There is no set number of outbreaks per year that doctors use to decide when someone should start suppressive therapy. Rather, more important factors are how often the outbreaks happen and if they are severe enough to interfere with your life.

Taking daily suppressive therapy may also reduce the risk of transmitting the virus to a sex partner. Antiviral drugs reduce viral shedding.

For most people, the first herpes outbreak is the most severe, and symptoms tend to be more severe in women than men. The first outbreak usually occurs within a few weeks after infection with the virus. Symptoms tend to resolve within two to three weeks.

herpes culture detects the virus in only about 50 percent of individuals with genital ulcers. The culture is more likely to detect the virus when ulcers are new and open, as compared to when they are older and healing. Therefore, it is important to see a healthcare provider within 48 hours of the first sy A culture test determines if herpes simplex virus is present in blisters or ulcers. However, a mptoms. The test is also more sensitive in individuals experiencing an initial episode of genital herpes than in individuals experiencing a recurrent episode.

Thank you