Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I am having surgery tomorrow to remove my left ovary. I had

Customer Question

I am having surgery tomorrow to remove my left ovary. I had a TVU done on Wednesday afternoon and it showed a complex cyst with vascularity on the ovary. I am postmenopausal with a personal history of Breast Cancer. I have had symptoms for a couple of
months- heaviness and pressure on the bladder. I have no bladder infection and my blood work is normal. How likely is this to be cancer?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.

I am assuming that you have a moderate risk mass or a simple oophorectomy (removal of the ovary) would not be planned. You do not give any info about the size of the mass or the CA125 level. If this is a moderate risk mass, the risk of cancer is 20 % You should be having the surgery in a cancer center with a gyn oncologist. Not with a regular ob gyn Dr.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ca125 negative-and my ins co has this protocol to follow - this is 'possible' for malignancy she says. And if it is I will be referred to oncology - but what would they do because when she removes the ovary wouldn't the cyst be removed also? Cancer or not-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3.9 cm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also it is new since September- a sonogram that I had then showed no cyst at all
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.

This is low risk due to the size and negative ca 125 Risk of cancer is 3-20 percent. Unfortunately this is the protocol. It would be better though if a gyn oncologist could operate. Thats not going to happen, but at least it seems that your regular gyn is just planning to take out the ovary and refer you if its malignant. I doubt it will be and good luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did have the surgery yesterday- she removed the left ovary (and they cyst that came with it- she called and fallopian tube- she looked around and did not see anything of concern- so she left everything else alone-yay- thankfully she said the results will be in Friday so I won't have to wait too long- she did mention if it is malignant the next step would be an oncologist--I read the endometrial biopsy (done last - I guess she wanted to test the lining of the uterus since the new sono also showed it thicken more- she said it ok but the report reads- Disordered proliferative endometrium- is that the same as hyperplasia (which I have had before)- I was happy that everything else was ok and she didn't take stuff out if not needed. I am interested in the biopsy though-should I be concerned?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
interested in the Uterine biopsy** sorry to be so confusing
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.

No Its not hyperplasia. Or anything close. It is disordered uterine lining due to hormone imbalance. Please consider a positive rating. Thanks