DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have had 3 episodes of UTI this from July 1st through July

Customer Question

I have had 3 episodes of UTI this from July 1st through July 31st. I have been on Cypro for 10 days, and infection came back. They put me on Levoquan for 5 days and infection came back. and I am no Bactrim now. They gave me that for 14 days. I am on my 5th day, and symptoms have not subsided. They are the same and getting a bit worse.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Hello
It makes no sense to go from cipro to leviquin, as any resistent bacteria is likely to be resistent to both, as well as to bactrim.
You need
a. culture and sensitivity on the urine.
b. 3rd generation cephalosporin antibiotic.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.