How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Your Own Question
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 3064
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have what feels like a raised welp about 1/2", maybe a

Customer Question

I have what feels like a raised welp about 1/2" long, maybe a little less, just on the inside crack up from my anus. It itches and burns and is very annoying and will not go away. I have put everything I can think of on it, but nothing makes it go away. Just makes it feel better temporarily.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. I can help you today.

The only way to really tell is to examine the area. Is there a way you can attach a photo using the paperclip icon on your screen?

It sounds like it's far enough away from the rectum itself that it's not a hemorrhoid but please do confirm that. I wonder what you've tried on it? The first thing we think of for an itchy area in that location is to use a steroid cream or ointment. But the over the counter versions may not be strong enough to get it under control. If you haven't yet even tried an over the counter steroid, try that first. Hydrocortisone 1% 3 x daily. Because there is also a lump there, it may help to apply moist heat with a washcloth wrapped heating pad or soak in a hot bath for 10 minutes 4 x daily. If neither of those help, you'll need to be examined to figure out if you have a blocked gland that needs drainage or what other cause it may be.

I hope this has been helpful. Please attach a photo if you can.