Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology
41363181

My mother age 61 was found to have a complex ovarian cyst of

Customer Question

My mother age 61 was found to have a complex ovarian cyst of 6 cm and some fluid build up in the pelvis. The doctor at the ER said he was being 'cautious and conservative' in suggesting she go see a gyno. From my understanding that fluid build up is a strong indicator of cancer, but can it be caused by other things? Her report also noted mild thickening of the endometrium, suspected adenomyosis, complex ovarian cyst on right side (with differential diagnosis that includes endometrioma and neoplasm) non-visualization of left ovary. She got a ca125 test today and is scheduling an appt for an MRI and a visit with a gynecological oncologist. I know she will need the cyst removed no matter what to biopsy. It is more likely she will have a laparotomy or a keyhole incision?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to add there was mention of debris, questionable nodularity along one wall
Expert:  Dr David replied 2 years ago.

This is Dr. David

most complex ovarian cysts with fluid in the pelvis doesn't necessarily mean cancer.

even elevated CA-125 levels can be caused by pelvic inflammation and not cancer.

I am glad she is getting an MRI scan and gyn appointment.

the method of surgery will depend on how the surgery is trained and how the surgeon feels most comfortable.

laproscopic surgery uses carbon dioxide to inflate the abdomen and also the patient goes into trendelenburg position with the head tilted down so patients who have glaucoma can't have this. laproscopic surgery uses smaller incisions in the abdomen and patients heal up faster, but sometimes less of the abdomen can be seen with this technique.

I am a cancer doctor

at her age, it will be best for her now just to have a hysterectomy and bilateral removal of her ovaries to be safe, even if there is no cancer found. removal of the female organs can also make less worry about future cancers.