Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

If my sperm sample shows my count and motility are ok, is

Customer Question

If my sperm sample shows my count and motility are ok, is there any other things they don't test for that could cause problems in conceiving? My wife has had all the tests and is ok too.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** certified Ob-Gyne. I can provide some helpful medical information for you today.
A complete semen analysis includes more than just count and motility. It includes measurements of how well the sperm swim forward, whether they are normally shaped and whether they tend to clump together or not. So unless you had a complete semen analysis, that would be the place to start.
If the results of a complete semen analysis are normal, yes there are other possible factors. Sometimes the sperm has trouble penetrating the eggs, there can be female endometriosis that can't be seen with any testing and several other possibilities.
Between 10-20% of couples have unexplained infertility, where all tests are normal in both male and female.
Any questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a full semen analysis done, there was more results on there but can't remember what they were for so didn't mention them. But yes it was a full sperm test. And the wife has had all tests done and said everything is ok. But could there be something else wrong with sperm that test would not show??
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.

Yes, sometimes the sperm can't penetrate the cervical mucous or into the egg. In this case the reproductive endocrinologist would recommend injection of the sperm directly into the uterus or into the egg.

http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/sperm-penetration-tests

If you are not yet seeing a reproductive endocrinologist, it's time to see one. If already seeing one, this would be the next step in evaluation as per the link.

Any questions?