OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I'm on OrthoTricyclen Lo. I was supposed to have started my

Customer Question
I'm on OrthoTricyclen Lo...
I'm on OrthoTricyclen Lo . I was supposed to have started my birth control on the 28th of June (Sunday starter) but I forgot a few days bc I was so busy so I didn't start the pack until the 5th of July . I'm finished with my active pills for the month and on the 2nd inactive pill and was wondering could I not have a period this month ? I did wait to have sex with my husband until the 18th so the pill was in effect but I'm a little nervous about being pregnant.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
7/27/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. C., Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** certified Ob-Gyne. I can provide some helpful medical information for you today.
Because you were so late in starting the pills, it's like a fresh pill start. I;m glad you waiting until the 18th to have sex so the pill would be effective again. 14 days is the minimum with a new start.
I expect that you will have a period but since you're only on the 2nd inactive pill, it may just not have started yet. It's common for the bleeding to start not until the 3rd or 4th days of inactive pills. So it's too soon to tell.
If there is no bleeding by August 1st, go ahead and run a home urine pregnancy test using the 1st urine of that morning. Using the first urine of the day reduces the risk of a false negative result in early pregnancy.
If the test is negative, start the pills again on schedule on August 2nd but then repeat the pregnancy test on August 8th. If both are negative, you are not pregnant.
The risk of pregnancy sounds pretty low. But usually I have women use condoms until they've used a full pack with a new start. But research supports that they are effective after 14 days so you should be fine.
I hope it goes well. Please reply if I can clarify anything or provide more details.
Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified