Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have been having off and on pain in the supra public

Customer Question

I have been having off and on pain in the supra public region for months now. When I have the pain it lasts for house and it can range from a 5-9 on the pain scale. I am a female and I would normally think that it was my period except I have an IUD in place and I don't get them any more. Plus it is not specific to just one week during a month, it happens at any time for any amount of time. My main concern is the IUD, I want to know if it is possible that there is a complication with the IUD that would be causing the pain. And mainly if I should go to get looked at.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified OB-Gyne with extensive experience in management of IUDs. I can help you today.

Yes if this pain is new for you than you should have it checked out. Usually we see patients who have IUDs in place very quickly within 1-2 days. Complications are rare but can be serious.

In a situation as you describe, we would see you in the office, run a pregnancy test and urine dip to check for infection. Then we would examine you to check the string, making sure it's the right length. Also we'd check for signs of infection and assess the level of pain. Last we would get an ultrasound to verify correct placement. If the uterus is slightly tilted, one of the T arms of the IUD can push against the uterine wall causing such pain.

Usually things turn out to be fine but for whatever reason, women continue to have pain. In such a situation, we need to decide whether to pull the IUD or not.

Please reply with questions if you have any. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information possible.