Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I popped positive for THC twice during pregnancy, If both my

Customer Question

I popped positive for THC twice during pregnancy, If both my baby and I are clean after delivery will there be any Iowa DHS involvment? Is there any chance that I will loose custody of my child?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
That is a very good question and the answer depends on many, many factors:
What sort of history do you have with DPS, the police, the Courts etc?
What is your prior drug history?
Do you have a safe home for your child to go to?
What type of family/father of the child support will you have?
So. What should you do?
Stay clean and sober at all costs from now on.
Visit with a DHS case worker, discuss your fears of loosing your child and ask straight up: What needs to happen for me to keep my child.
They will appreciate your straight forwardness and strong desire to stay clean and will do everything in their power to help you.
One thing you should never do when dealing with the DPS: Lie to them....that will be the end of all your credibility and they will might come down on you like a ton of bricks.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
I wish you the very best with the upcoming new addition to your family :)