Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I need to know what some numbers mean that are written on a

Customer Question

I need to know what some numbers mean that are written on a pregnancy ultrasound. Not sure what doc at clinic said. The Ultrasound was 7/21. Below are scribbled the numbers:
6 6/7
6/17/15 +/- 7 d
How can I figure approx date of conception from these??? Please help. thank you. c
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
image attached
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.

It's a little bit unusual way to write an ultrasound report, but I'm pretty sure that it means that you were 6 6/7 weeks at the time of the ultrasound, and that your conception date is 6/17 plus or minus 7 days.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Little confused still, too. mostly about the 6 6/7 weeks. Subtracting back from July 21, that would be about June 3. So does that make June 3 the conception date or June 17? What's the difference between those two numbers? and what is the margin or error?

June 17 would be the conception. June 3 would be the presumed last period.

We calculate conception and due dates based on last period, so when we say you're 7 weeks pregnant, that means that you got pregnant 5 weeks ago. It's a little confusing.

The margin of error is the 7 days.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. think i'm getting it. So is the conception date of June 17 based only on evidence in the visual in the ultrasound?

The conception date is based on the findings of the ultrasound, and it's the best way we know to figure the conception date.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. thank you

You're welcome.