Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have had 4 c sections and can only deliver via c section

Customer Question

I have had 4 c sections and can only deliver via c section and we want to try again what are the risk of having a fifth c section birth
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
The risk of another c-section depend mostly on well you healed after your last c-section, and whether there was much scarring from your previous surgeries. The best person to answer those questions would be the doctor who performed your last c-section. Some women are able to have many c-sections without any problem (up to 10 or so). However, for others, there is so much scarring that it's risky to have more than 2 or 3. Most likely if you had a lot of scarring or you didn't heal well from previous c-sections, your doctor would have told you that. The risk from scarring is increased chance of bladder or bowel injury when performing the repeat c-section.