OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I took utovlan for 10 days about 3 weeks ago then had period

Customer Question
as expected. This finished about...
I took utovlan for 10 days about 3 weeks ago then had period as expected. This finished about 2 weeks ago but now I'm getting blood stained discharge. Not a lot and not every day buts it's been happening for about 4-5 days now. Is this linked to the utovlan?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
7/22/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 2 years ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

Please tell me how your periods have been in the past 6 months.

Have you taken the Utovlan before, or was this the first time? Thank you.

My periods have been normal. I have taken utoclan 3 times before, each time to prevent getting my period on holiday. Last year, I had one instance of spotting when I was on holiday but it didn't happen again.

The blood stained discharge may or may not be related to taking utovlan. It's possible that utovlan prevented you from ovulating, depending on when you took it in your cycle. Since ovulation is what causes regular periods, that could have thrown off your cycle and caused irregular bleeding.

However, I suspect that the bloody discharge may be more related to your age, either by causing some hormonal changes, or possibly because you have developed a fibroid tumor in your uterus causing the bleeding. Fibroids are fairly common during the 40's.

In any case, if the bleeding persists, it's probably best to see your doctor to get it checked out. Assuming you've had regular Pap smears, the bleeding is unlikely to be anything serious. Best wishes.

Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified