Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

My daughter has recently started taking the pill (3mths). In

Customer Question

my daughter has recently started taking the pill (3mths). In her second cycle she took 3 sugar tablets then decided she wanted to miss that period and started taking normal tablets. she has been having dark spotting for three weeks. Is this normal? Should she stop taking the pill and have a normal period?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** certified Ob-Gyne. I can provide some helpful medical information for you today.
It's not worrisome at all that this is happening. It's a reaction to the irregular pill taking. In the future if she wants to skip, she needs to go straight from the end of the active pills into the fresh pack without taking any placebo pills at all.
In her situation, the fact that she took 3 placebo pills already means that the hormone levels dropped and started the shedding process. But then when she started the new pack, it interrupted the shedding so now she's having old blood coming out from the period that wanted to happen but she derailed. Dark spotting is just old blood. Nothing worrisome.
She should not stop taking the pill but continue until the next row of placebo comes. At that point, she will probably have a complete shedding that will reset the lining.
Hopefully that will get things back to normal. If this is the 1st time she's ever had anything like this going on, it will probably just go back to normal.
I hope this has been helpful and reassuring. Please reply if I can clarify anything else.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Any questions?
If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback.