Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I had my period days and then started to see a little

Customer Question

i had my period for 2 days and then started to see a little brown spotting what could this mean
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** certified Ob-Gyne. I can provide some helpful medical information for you today.
I'm sorry that you're having some concern about your period.
Brown is just old blood. It's not a worrisome sign. Sometimes especially as women get into their 30s, there can be changes in the flow. This can include some change in the cycle length, number of days of flow and even a start stop pattern with some spotting like you're describing.
Anytime a woman has anything different going on, it's a good idea to make sure there isn't a pregnancy. So if that's possible, start with a home urine pregnancy test. If that's negative, it's fine to just watch for now and see if it straightens out by next cycle.
If it doesn't, it would be a good idea to check in with your Ob-Gyne. They'd make sure your pap smear and infection checks are up to date and examine for possible other causes of irregularity or change.
But usually a small change like this goes away on it's own without our even figuring out exactly what caused it.
I hope this was reassuring and helpful Please reply if I can clarify anything.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
I'm checking to see if you have any follow-up questions. Here is a link to a guide about what are normal changes in the period as a woman approaches the peri-menopausal transition and what is out of the normal range and requires attention. I hope it's helpful:
http://www.cascadewomenshealth.org/download/PDFs/HealthEducation/Transitions%20to%20Menopause/Period%20Change%20as%20you%20get%20older.pdf
Please reply if I can clarify anything. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation. This is an area that I have extensive experience managing and I aim for excellent service. Thanks!