Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am 56, will be 57 in January, and am going thru menopause,

Customer Question

I am 56, will be 57 in January, and am going thru menopause, I have hot flashes often....that I can handle, but I cannot have sex with my husband without it being painful, it feels like it is raw or something, kinda burns, and hurts sometimes when I am not even doing anything, almost feels like trying to have sex for the first time, very uncomfortable. All my pap smears have come out fine, my last was around June of last year, the doctor put me on premarin, the cream and the pill by mouth. It made me start having periods again, so I stopped it all. I wondered if I may have had the periods again because of the double dose thing......all I know is I would really like to correct my problem naturally if possible, and I don't want to start having periods again, but I know I need to do something, for me and for my husband and hope that you have a suggestion.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30 years of experience.

I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble. It is most likely that the bleeding started because of the double dosing. Usually just using the topical estrogen vaginally will not cause bleeding.

Many women find relief with nonestrogen options but usually estrogen works the best. Non-estrogen options include a product called Replens or a Vitamin E capsule broken into the vagina 2-3 x weekly. There are many such products on the market. During sex using a natural oil such as sunflower or almond oil can be very helpful.

Estrogen options include the cream 1 gm twice weekly, a vaginal tablet called Vagifem or an estrogen ring that is left in place 3 months at a time.

Please reply so I can provide more details on anything that you'd like clarification about. I want to make sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.