OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

3 ½ weeks ago I noticed a bright red spot about an inch or

Customer Question
Hi, 3 ½ weeks ago...
Hi, 3 ½ weeks ago I noticed a bright red spot about an inch or inch and a half above my areola on my left breast. It came out of the blue. I felt it and could feel a raised bump, and it was a little sore. I figured it was just a pimple and put some pimple
cream on it. Within a few days, the soreness was gone, and over the next week or so, the redness started to go down, but the bump still remained. I have kept my eye on it. It has stayed a dark pink color and I can still feel a bump. Yesterday the skin all
around it started to get red. I put “butt paste” (that is name brand) on it last night, and when I work up this morning, the redness around it had improved quite a bit, but the bump is still red. I showed my friend this morning and she thought it looked like
a possible blister, but I can’t tell. I have an appt with a doctor tomorrow afternoon, but I am freaking out right now that I have inflammatory breast cancer. I watched an interview with a doctor on a Good Morning America clip online yesterday and he said
it can start with a red spot and then goes into a rash. He also said that most women are misdiagnosed when they first go to the doctor about it because so many doctors have never even seen it. I have severe health anxiety and am now a wreck about this. I am
hoping you can give me some reassurance to get me through the next 28 hours until I see the doc. Thanks (I am sorry I can't attach a pic; I am at work.)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
7/7/2015
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

The symptoms of Inflammatory breast cancer (IBC) occurs when the lymphatic ducts of the breast becomes blocked by the cancerous cells, leading to fluid buildup in the tissues. This can cause the breast tissues, especially the skin to look thickened, reddish and inflamed.

While IBC can start off looking like a sore, it spreads so that the surrounding tissue gets involved. IBC will definitley not clear up by the application of any cream or ointment.

In your case, since the sore cleared up to some extent with the redness decreasing, this is not IBC. If you had had IBC, the redness would not have improved.

Thank you, ***** ***** me feel better. Do you think it's weird that this blister/sore/bump whatever it is, is still here after 3 weeks? The little lump I feel is also visible when I pull the skin tight, so does that mean that it is more than likely not a cancerous lump? I had a breast exam 3 months ago, so I can't imagine that a cancerous lump would be visible in that amount of time??

The bump is likely to be a blocked skin gland - probably a sebaceous or sweat gland. Sometimes the duct of the gland can get blocked , either by an infection or due to irritation of clothes or even spontaneously . This leads to collection of the secretions inside leading to formation of a small bump. The bump can remain for quite some time - until the duct opens up allowing the secretions to drain out or by the absorption of the secretions by the body. A bump of this type may remain for weeks, getting gradually smaller and smaller - possibly this is what you will notice over time.

.

Thank you for help...I really appreciate it!! I feel a lot more calm now. My imagation was running wild. I lost my dad to cancer, so now that is where my mind always goes....I will be giving you an excellent rating.

Thank you for a positive rating.

Just FYI so you don't think I forgot about paying you.....the star rating won't work. I can't click on any of the stars. I have emailed customer support for help.

Thank you.

OB GYN Doctor: venus-cssm,
 replied 2 years ago
venus-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (paste the question link into the response). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Dr. C.
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified