OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I went through some UTIs earlier this year (to which I was…

Customer Question
I went through some UTIs...
I went through some UTIs earlier this year (to which I was given several antibiotics), which resulted in yeast/bacterial infections (to which I was also given treatment for). My doc suspects I have intersistial cystitis, because I am still presenting pain
and burning in my bladder and urethra (and I've ta***** *****ke 6 urianalysis and cultures - all negative). I still have to get a cystoscopy done to confirm the diagnosis, but for now she has given me Elavil, 30 mg, to take per day. This has helped tremendously.
One issue my doc was never to explain is the fact that I also get these weird burning tingles in different parts in my body. I used to get them only in my groin and knees, but they are really anywhere now. I mentioned this to the doc that works in the lab
where I get my tests done and she strongly suspects it could have been herpes. Which wouldn't be unlikely because my boyfriend has herpes Type I (he has cold sores) and we have practiced oral sex. Also, I noticed some weeks ago that I had developed this large
blister like thing in my groin and small ones in my thighs. My doc said that they didn't seem typical for herpes so she had the IgM blood test done. Just to play it safe, I also had the IgG done for both types. The IgG tests came out negative and I've yet
to see the IgM one. I should mentioned that back in late May (around 2 MONTHS AGO AND SOME DAYS) I had also taken a herpes test (IgG for Type II) because I wanted to be sure I didn't have an STD and that came out negative too. Thinking that it had been enough
time for the antibodies to develop, I thought something would show up, but it didn't. I also have had two swab tests done in my vagina and nothing has shown up, no bacteria. The symptoms I'm presenting sound a lot like herpes, but I'm at a complete loss if
all the tests come out negative. The blister things are healing now and they are kinda dry and scaly and I had been feeling almost normal for some days now but I've just gotten another wave of genital pain (to which I am putting on betamethazone dipropionate
to help), and general sick feeling all over. I feel fatigue. My vulva, upon examination, is kind of red in some parts and it hurts to touch too much. This is confusing and stressful. I thought this could also explain my intercystitial cystitis-like symptoms
(which the doctor also suggested). But now I just don't know. I am going to see her on Monday. What could I have? Should I wait to have another Herpes test done in some months? Could it be a condition like vulvodynia? And what could I take for the vulvar pain
and the rest (besides Elavil) while I have a proper diagnosis done?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: OB GYN
7/4/2015
OB GYN Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Hello
This does not sound like herpes.
I would be glad to look at a picture.
In fact this sensation has a large differential.
anxiety
allergy
parasites
hidden infection
heavy metals
iron deficiency
B vitamin deficiency
Hidden malignancy
polycythemia vera.
Any good internist can test for all possibilities.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Hello, doctor. Sorry for the late reply.Unfortunately, the sores have healed up and I'm not able to send a picture. However, they did look a lot like this (even if it could not be herpes).http://www.infomasite.com/pav/galery/herpes-picture.jpgI am going to see my doctor tomorrow to receive my IgM results, but I want to know how to proceed if it comes out negative. I continue having pain and irritation in my vulva, and the tingling seems to have died down. I did notice however, yesterday, that a big clump of white mucus like discharge was coming down when it was sore. I did finish my period a couple of weeks ago so I could just be ovulating, but I want to make sure. I have been spraying on some lidocaine liquid (5%) and that's been helping, but I don't want to over do it.How would I get tested for all those conditions you mentioned?
That can also be staph infection.
Your doctor needs to consider the list above, but also autoimmune disease, in particular Behcets.
Please click a positive rating.
I also have mild pain (sometimes sharp, sometimes dull) in my inner thighs and groin).Could this be related?
Muscle pain can be a component of autoimmuen problems or many of the other problems I have listed./
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.