How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11231
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When wiping after urination, I felt something bulging from

Customer Question

when wiping after urination, I felt something bulging from my vagina. I checked with a mirror and it looked sac-like. It is Friday night. Should I go to the emergency room?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Phone #(###) ###-#### ( I don't do texting)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is 2:38 a.m. How long will I have to wait?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Forget the phone call -- just type.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
I'm sorry for the long wait.
You don't need to go to the emergency room unless you're having pain from this bulge.
You apparently have some type of prolapse, where the supporting tissues in the pelvic area have gotten weak, and the area has stretched and dropped.
This could be your bladder bulging, which we call a cystocele.
It could be your rectum bulging, which we call a rectocele.
Or it could be a hernia of the upper vaginal wall with small intestine bulging down, called an enterocele.
In any case, this is not an emergency situation unless some intestine gets trapped, in which case you would have significant pain.
I would make an appointment to see an OB/GYN doctor for evaluation. A bulge like this can be treated with a pessary or surgery, but only needs treatment if it is significantly bothersome.
A pessary is something the doctor fits in your vagina that supports the bulge and keeps it from coming out.
Surgery involves bringing supporting tissues together to hold the bulge up inside. Sometimes a vaginal hysterectomy is also done, if the uterus also is dropping significantly.
In the meantime, sometimes you can place a large tampon to hold things up.